Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi. My burmilla is 19.5 years old. She has been on metronidazole

Customer Question

Hi. My burmilla is 19.5 years old. She has been on metronidazole 25 mg. 2x a day. She is also on thyriod med. ( gel put into her ear in the evenings). During a 12 day stay ( 23 feb. to 9 March) in the vets so they could 'take better care' of her somewhat complicated medical needs, the Head nurse mis- gave my cat, serena, the metronidazole. She gave serena only 25mg. once a day. Last week serens was in a terri ly weak state! Her respiratory condition was: snotty nose and very bad labour ed breathing. Thus was put on a drip (2.8 Potassium- up to 3.2 over weekend and on sunday 2.9... ) Off drip and home sunday and now on kaminox 1.5 ml 2x day. She has refused to eat and only drinks water but took about 2teaspoons of warm milk tonight..
I am ex-physio and have been taking care of her complicated needs for several years now. Any ideas? The appetite stimulant has not seemed to work! Blood work shows no other significant issue..kidneys ok, etc. Ronaxan prescribed but am hesitant to give it due to throat irritation and how small she is..2.6 kg (little). I did give her 2 syringe full of
a mix of a pinch of spirulina, water, cooked, mashed salmon. This pulled hdr through a previous 'post intensive care episode'. My phone number is XXXXX I'd be happy to pay you for a conversation if you felt inclined tonight. I am at work days and partner here then. Kind gratitude for getting this far. Thanks. Donna nunn
Category: Cat
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request, but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Regards,

Scott
Hello again Donna and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Serena's problem, the site admin know you have been waiting for an answer and have asked me to get in touch with you.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. First of all what is likely to be the basic problem? : Where a cat has a nasal discharge and respiratory signs like this you are most likely dealing with the cat flu range of diseases. These are viral in origin and can be complicated by secondary bacterial infections. In your case the thyroid condition is a complicating factor and Serena's advanced age probably means her immune response may not be so good to fight off the virus as that of a younger cat.

2. How is this situation generally treated? : If the above is the diagnosis then usually treatment has to be just supportive while the body mounts an immune response against the virus and antibiotics will be of value where secondary bacterial disease is suspected. Severe cases need intensive care including IV fluids etc. the key is supportive care though and the level needed will vary from case to case.

3. What can you do in your case? : While it is encouraging the blood results are normal Serena's age does give cause for concern, a bit like human disease in a person of 95 years of age. If you are going to continue treatment on a home remedy basis then you have to keep up the antibiotic cove rand concentrate on the supportive care. I would suggest you get hold of some Hills I/D prescription diet from your vet, this is highly palatable and formulated specifically for convalescent animals, it will cover her nutritional needs and can be given orally with a 10 or 20 ml syringe. Also try and get fluids into her orally and try and keep her warm, comfortable and reassured.

4. Appetite stimulants? : Well this is a moot point, they may help as part of a holistic approach but they are no substitute for a high level of supportive care. They can usually do no harm though, surprisingly one of the best appetite stimulants I have used professionally is valium, you may want to run this past your vet.

5. It is now very early in the morning UK time so I am reluctant to try and phone you and wake you up, in any case I will need special permission from the site admin to contact you direct but I have contacted them already on this point. If they are agreeable I may be able to speak to you later at a time convenient to yourself but in the meantime I hope this text reply has been full enough.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Scott: -I will write tomorrow evening as it is very late here now and I have her care to tend to before bed. Thanks for this start and what was most useful was the specific suggestion of the Hills Prescription Diet; she is already on the renal -Royal Canin wet kibbles and has been for 5 years as a preventative action since her brother died then of renal failure. But she is not eating anything right now. I had her on fresh salmon and the kibbles. So far her kidneys have not been the main problem. I know she may be dying. but if she is NOT... I need to balance the options here. The doxycycline meds. will not work as I cannot crush them and her throat is so small and she is not eating. she has not taken solid food since early Sunday morning. When Merlin was working on dying after his not eating by himself for 4 days we released him. I cannot change the laws of nature but she has come through this kind of big problem 3-4 times in her life-yes, when she was younger.

I am not comfortable with Vallium as she is already so weak and little and sometimes dosing her is an issue. We will use it to help her make the last transition if and when we need to.

She has been on death's door so many times the vets call her their miracle cat and without my nursing her she would never have made it. She came off the Drip on sunday morning. I feel we are not doing enough to deal with the respiratory issues and the ronaxan won't work with her. What else would do the potential pnemonia or bronchitis type factors? Will call my vet again in the am... I am Canadian and the UK is a wierd place. Repressed and conservatively oriented in the main. Worse that I have an excellent education which I continue to refresh but I am in the 'backwoods' of Devon! Lovely place but not very scientific in the main-so even professional people here are what I consider a disaster. Most do not get trained with cadavers and have huge gaps in their scientific knowledge of new things etc. A friend told me to give her Lamanine. I have not... as the vet does not know what it is and 'won't' look it up. ok..If good will and love were enough, I would not be chatting with you. Kindly-til Tuesday evening UK time.

Donna

Hello again Donna,

All this is not easy for you I know but I am very willing to keep talking things over with you. I am usually about at some point in the day and my time zone is GMT { UK } + 6.

Please get back to me tomorrow and we can take it from there.

Kindest regards,

Scott