Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

i have a 9 month old siamese who is on heat, she got out today

i have a 9 month old siamese who is on heat, she got out today by accident and she was gone 7 hours, is there any way a vet can get rid of the pregnancy and still allow her to have a pedigree litter when she is older?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Yes, however I would call your vet and explain the situation.

Doctor H :

Typically a steroid injection and/or prostaglandin administration can induce abortion while preserving integrity of the uterus.

Doctor H :

Still, I would recommend spaying her due to pet overpopulation and the subsequent euthanasia of millions of cats, but I'll leave that up to you.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX call our vet tomorrow, I am going to let her have one litter as I already have homes lined up for them.

Doctor H :

Okay. One sign that she may have mated would be the absence of signs of heat.

Doctor H :

So if she is no longer showing the normal clinical signs, I would suspect mating as cats are induced ovulators.

Doctor H :

Which means that they will continually go into heat until mating, which will stop the heat cycle as it stimulates ovulation.

Doctor H :

Do you any questions about that?

Customer:

No I knew that thanks, XXXXX XXXXX an eye on her tonight.

Doctor H :

Cool. Then kindly rate my service so I may know how well I assisted you today :)