Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

Hi there, My Male cat seems to be quite Dirty just now and

Hi there, My Male cat seems to be quite Dirty just now and seems Uninterested in Grooming Himself! I have had to put him outside at nights as he has been Urinating in the house, i mean Puddles, not just a little. He's also very thin and just not himself :/ Do you think he could possibly have a Bladder or Urine Infection ?? He's 12, 13 in August but seems happy, just not himself, I have his mum and sister and they are both well, i have eliminated them from the Urinating. Although he did use the Litter Tray tonight, i'm just confused and he has Always been the one who cuddled in with me but again seems uninterested just now, Any ideas ? Many Thanks
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Dave :

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Customer:

Hi there

Dr. Dave :

Has Toby been seen by your veterinarian for these symptoms yet? Also, how long have these symptoms been going on?

Customer:

He started Urinating maybe about 3 weeks ago, i was waking up to it every morning or if he was left in through the day i would arrive home to it, He has not been seen by his Vet yet for this problem, i was planning on taking him tomorrow. It's the sudden weight loss and him not acting himself that worries me too, but i thought if perhaps he was Unwell that he may just be wandering about not interested in much. It's upsetting as he used to lie with me on my bed, all cuddled in, but hasn't for weeks now. His tail is all greasy and he's not clean, I'm a bit worried about him :/

Dr. Dave :

Thanks for the additional information.

Dr. Dave :

The most likely possibilities for his symptoms would include kidney disease, diabetes, and hyperthyroidism (where the thyroid gland is producing too much thyroid hormone).

Dr. Dave :

Blood work and a urine test would help to figure out what is going on, and therefore help determine the best course of action for potential treatment.

Dr. Dave :

I'm glad to hear you are planning on taking Toby to your veterinarian tomorrow.

Customer:

Yes, i have, for the last week or so left him outside at nights, in for food in the morning then back out till i come home from work as i can't handle any more 'Incidents' It was stressing me out :( I can't understand how he is looking so Dirty though, he needs a good wash, however i'd never be able to do that.. And he doesn't really groom himself

Dr. Dave :

I understand your concern and stress.

Customer:

He has never been so dirty in the past

Dr. Dave :

Sometimes when cats are not feeling well, their behaviors change (where they urinate, decreased grooming, etc.)

Dr. Dave :

The hair coat may not look as clean or kept up either.

Customer:

So do you think it could even be a bladder or urine infection perhaps ?

Dr. Dave :

A bladder or urinary tract infection is certainly possible, but at his age and with the other symptoms (very thin, not grooming himself), the other things I mentioned are just as likely (kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism), so it's good that he is going to be examined tomorrow. I would also recommend the blood tests and urine test be run, if at all possible, as this will likely be the only way to get an accurate diagnosis to guide treatment.

Customer:

If he has one of these symptoms are they all treatable ?

Dr. Dave :

They are all treated differently, depending on the diagnosis.

Dr. Dave :

Bladder infections with antibiotics, fluids, pain medications (if needed).

Dr. Dave :

Hyperthyroidism with medication, or special prescription food, or surgery, or radioactive iodine treatment.

Dr. Dave :

Diabetes with special food, daily insulin injections.

Dr. Dave :

Kidney disease with special prescription food, and fluids or additional medications as needed, depending on lab results and symptoms.

Customer:

He did use the litter tray tonight, he was in himself, my other 2 cats (His sister and Mum) were out, i was upstairs, so he done right and hasn't urinated anywhere, which i was glad about, but he is just Moping about and seems to be hungry a lot of the time and just sits at his food dish, even once i've just fed him

Dr. Dave :

I understand, that is why it's good that you are bringing him to your veterinarian tomorrow for an exam.

Customer:

He used to eat a lot of biscuits, however lately it's been Wet Food Pouches.

Customer:

He was once at the Vet as he had been urinating a lot probably a few years ago, they kept him in to try and collect a urine sample, in the end i think they had to cathitorise (Don't know how to spell that, sorry) him to extract urine, but all was fine! I suppose being kept in for blood and urine tests may be a possibility again ?

Dr. Dave :

Yes, I feel it would be best to have blood test and a urine test done on Toby at this time, given his age and the symptoms you are describing.

Dr. Dave :

They should yield quite a bit of information to help your veterinarian best treat Toby.

Customer:

I can explain exactly how he has been lately to the Vet no problem as i have kept a close eye on Toby, however, Yes it has come to the stage where he needs to be seen. Hopefully it's not anything too serious and he can be treated, this only started maybe 3 weeks to one month ago, so hopefully he can be back to his cuddly, clean and contented self soon. Many Thanks for all your help, it's appreciated :) Zander ..

Dr. Dave :

You are very welcome - glad to be here to help out! I hope everything goes well. I will be thinking of you and Toby.

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX bounces back with Treatment, it's sad to see him the way he is :( I don't expect miracles due to his age, but all 3 were healthy and well, just Toby that's not been right for a few weeks. Hopefully with some Meds he'll feel better and i can maybe leave him in the house again, unsupervised..

Dr. Dave :

You're welcome - I hope Toby feels better quickly also!

Customer:

Me too, Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX good Evening :)

Dr. Dave :

I hope you have a wonderful evening as well. Take care.