Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Old cat, not sure of age, just turned up some 12 years ago. Drinkings

Old cat, not sure of age, just turned up some 12 years ago.
Drinkings a lot, sleeping a lot, fussy with food, still wants to play and attack me!
Rather thin.
Sick every other day.
I give her senior food.
Should I be doing something else to help her?
I would be most grateful for advice.
Very many thanks
Tim Fox
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

Base don what you report, I am quite concerned that Thursday may be developing one of our age-appropriate older kitty issues such as overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) or kidney issues or a tumor/cancer. The vomiting concerns me most and I am worried about kidney issues as the top cause of the symptoms you are describing. Has she had her lab work checked in the past 2 months (CBC, Chemistry profile with electrolyte and urine check, thyroid screen)?

Dr. Joey :

If she has not had lab work recently, then this is a first step. This will help us to rule out many issues and probably get an answer for what is going on. If nothing was (or is) found on screening lab work for these problems, then an xray is indicated to look for a tumor/cancer hiding somewhere. Our hope is that we find hyperthyroidism since this is the easiest to treat of our older kitty diseases. Kidney disease/failure can be regulated and we have many medications to help with the nausea and other issues associated with kidney failure, but we cannot make the kidneys work again once they decline.

Dr. Joey :

What could you try at home until you get her to her vet? Your vet is likely to prescribe famotidine for nausea at one-fourth of the 10mg tablet once daily for nausea.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.