Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

Hello, My cat by accident got a few drops of the dog flea

My cat by accident got a few drops of the dog flea control on him rather than his while i was treating them all. He seems vocal and has had a few twitches, I have washed him well and he seems much brighter now, can you give me any further advice on what to do for him.
Many thanks in advance

Ann
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question. There are flea products out there that have permethrins or pyrethrins in them that if in high enough concentration when placed on a cat can definitely cause dangerous affects. They basically overwhelm the nervous system and cause overstimulation of the nerves which is seen as tremors, twitches, seizures, etc. When these products get on a cat, the best thing to do at home is to wash the area 3 to 4 times with water and soap to get off as much as possible so no more is absorbed. When I get a cat that is having a lot of tremors / twitches in my clinic, those get started on methocarbamol (a muscle relaxer) as a treatment for this toxicity. If Bazel is for the most part acting normal with no twitches or tremors, it may not be needed. It all depends on how much he's absorbed. If the tremors or twitches get pronounced, then he should be seen by your vet or an ER vet to get started on this.