Doctor H
Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience:  5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting
24698571

My cat is 2 years old, she has lost so much weight in the last

My cat is 2 years old, she has lost so much weight in the last 3 week's I can feel her spine but her stomach is swollen. Her appetite a few weeks ago was insatiable but now she barely eats at all. She just excreted on the carpet which she never does, it was long and shiny and then a puddle of mucus. At first I thought she had urinated and to be honest I'm still not sure which it was. She is booked in with the vet tomorrow afternoon. I've looked online and it mostly refers to tumours or parasites. Can you help with any explanation please?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doctor H replied 3 years ago.

Doctor H :

Hi, this is Doctor H and I'd be happy to assist you.

Doctor H :

Does Holly go outside?

Doctor H :

The reason I ask is because cats that go outside are going to be much more likely to be exposed to certain kind of parasites.

Customer:

Yes she is out side all the time. She's had all of her injections.

Doctor H :

Okay, and is she on any topical flea preventatives?

Customer:

Just on the normal spoton flea treatment.

Doctor H :

Frontline Plus? Or something different?

Customer:

She was literally treated for fleas and worms 3 weeks ago just before her stomach started to swell.

Customer:

Yes it's the frontline one.

Doctor H :

By her veterinarian?

Customer:

No, we did it at home.

Doctor H :

Well Frontline Plus just covers skin parasites such as fleas and lice. What did you give her for intestinal worms?

Customer:

Bib Martin spot in dewormer

Customer:

Sorry, bob

Customer:

It's the same one I have always used for her.

Doctor H :

It's okay. That medication contains Praziquantal, which is effective only for tapeworms.

Doctor H :

In your case I'd be more concerned about roundworms/hookworms as they are the most common parasites that pets can contract from their outdoor environment.

Doctor H :

I would recommend having her checked out by your vet. Roundworms are the most likely cause, however a virus called FIP can cause a distended abdomen and a decreased appetite as well.

Doctor H :

S/he should feel the abdomen for any free fluid and/or use an ultrasound to determine for sure.

Doctor H :

Also run a fecal and give something revolution, a one-time treatment for roundworms/hookworms.

Doctor H :

Is Holly drinking at all?

Customer:

What is fip? Is there anything we can do to make her more comfortable? She has refused to go outside for the last few days.

Customer:

Yes she is still drinking we have been giving hee milk and cream to try and keep hee going until we got in with the vet. She drinks plenty of water.

Doctor H :

FIP stands for feline infectious peritonitis and is a virus they can get from going outside. There are two forms of it, one causes severe ascites (fluid in the abdomen).

Doctor H :

Okay. I would lay off the milk and cream and just offer the water and some bland food. Then get her in tomorrow. I wouldn't recommend anything else other than keeping her inside, which she appears to be doing on her own fairly well.

Doctor H :

As long as she's drinking well then I wouldn't be concerned, if she goes downhill anytime tonight or before the vet appointment then take her to an ER clinic. However, this sounds like a simple case of intestinal parsasitism, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Customer:

Ok, and if it is hookworms, the treatment from the vet will sort her out or is it an in going thing with that particular parasite?

Doctor H :

I'm more concerned about roundworms, but both either require two treatments with pyrantel or one treatment with Revolution (Selamectin).

Doctor H :

Do you have any other questions for me?

Customer:

No thank you so very much. She us very much loved and you have eased my worry. Thank you again

Doctor H :

You're welcome, kindly rate my service so I may know how well I assisted you.

Doctor H :

Best of luck!

Doctor H, Veterinarian
Experience: 5.5 years experience practicing small animal medicine in a large urban setting