Dr. Welton
Dr. Welton, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed small animal veterinarian since 2002. Practice owner since 2004.
1859647

Dear Sir or Madam Our cat is generally very healthy but behind

Dear Sir or Madam
Our cat is generally very healthy but behind her ears and on her neck she has lumps - quite small - 2mm up to about 3-4mm - but quite a lot of them. When I comb the area with a fine comb often the lump comes off with some fur attached. These lumps look like dry scabby skin. She doesn't seem to notice it and doesn't scratch the area.
What is it and what can we do to stop it?
With thanks
Lesley
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Welton replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Welton :

Dr. Welton :

The lumps admixed with clumps of flakes is a condition known as seborrheic dermatitis. In cats, seborrheic dermatitis most commonly occurs as the result of skin allergy. As a solution, I would first consider a veterinary anti-seborrheic shampoo. Many kitties do not enjoy begin bathed, and you would have to be careful not to get the product in the eyes - and the back of the ears are close to the eyes. Thus, you may wish to consider procuring the services of a groomer.

Dr. Welton :

Here is the link to an excellent veterinary anti-seborrheic shampoo for cats:

Dr. Welton :

http://www.drrogerholisticvet.com/#!dermabenz-shampoo/c1j79

Dr. Welton :

For long term skin and hair coat healthy, I would advise pharmaceutical grade omega-3-fatty acids. Omega-3 is naturally anti-inflammatory to the body, especially at the level of the hair coat. It also directly conditions the skin and hair coat. At the same website I had recommend the shampoo, you can find this product that you simply add to the food daily:

Dr. Welton :

http://www.drrogerholisticvet.com/#!nutritional-skin-haircoat-support/c24bh

Dr. Welton :

Lastly, with the lesions in such a focal region on the body neck and behind the ears, is suspect fleas may be getting to your kitty. Fleas love to bite cats around the neck, so even if you do not see an obvious infestation, I would consider veterinary grade topical flea control. My 2 favorite products are Activyl and Revolution.

Dr. Welton :

Best of luck. I never did see you enter the chat, but you can reply to me in Q & A mode if you have any further questions or concerns.

Dr. Welton :

Thanks for choosing Pearl.com!

Dr. Welton :

Dr. Roger Welton