Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 7month old cat disappeared for 3days a couple of weeks ago,

My 7month old cat disappeared for 3days a couple of weeks ago, when he came back he was not his normal self. He seemed to get better but 2days ago he started being sick is off his food, I have also noticed his gums are very pale. He did eat a little bit this morning which he kept down but now he seems to have the runs, could he have picked up some sort of parasite.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- So he has been home for a couple of weeks now, correct?
2- Is he strictly indoors?
3- How long has it been since the last time he vomited?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he has been back home for a couple of weeks. He is normally an indoor cat but he does go out sometimes now, it's been about 18hours since he last vomited and the runs started this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Marie, yes, it is possible he could have picked up an infection or intestinal parasite that is now being evident. What is of most concern with the history you provide is that his gums are pale. You see, when we see pale gums it is a sign of either anemia (decrease red blood cells), decrease cardiac output or blood pressure, poor circulation, etc. to name a few causes. The concern is that having pale gums can have a fatal outcome if underlying cause is not treated and corrected. To determine the exact underlying cause Garfield will need to be seen by a veterinarian for some testing like blood work and fecal analysis as initial screening test. Highly recommend having him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. In the meantime change his diet to rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter