DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

My sons girlfriend and his little girl have just move in with

My son's girlfriend and his little girl have just move in with my son at his flat he have a cat but the cat don't like his little girl who is 2 half he will not come in side to eat we have too pick him up and take him in side then he will eat as soon as he see her he run out we try to keep him in by locking the cat flap this he don't like my son cat is 6y old my son is worry abound is cat also he is not aloud to sleep on the bed ? Can you help please mrs k Moore
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

sorry to hear about your situation .

DR.J :

But first and most importantly - DO NOT LOCK THE CAT IN !

DR.J :

just imagine you are locked in with the thing you fear most of all with no chance of escape

DR.J :

I say again, do not lock the cat in , always keep a route of escape for him !

DR.J :

Cats are individual animals , with a very complex personalty . each is different . You have some who get along with kids and some who don't but one this is proven - you can not force a cat to love someone

DR.J :

Freddie will either choose to eventually warm up to your little girl or not - and if he chooses not to then there is little that you or anyone else can do on the matter and you just need to let him be . make his living conditions as best you can by providing him with drinking water outside and feeding times when you know he will come and it . make food accessible indoors as well , and water . Keep the flap always open when he chooses to come in on cold nights.

DR.J :

A thing you can try as well is to buy a Feliway diffuser ( http://www.feliway.com/uk/ ) which you keep pluged in all the time and that might calm things down .

DR.J :

The point is - you can not force it on Freddie , he will come in when he is good and ready.

DR.J :

I hope this helps , if you have any more questions let me know .

DR.J :

please don't forget to rate our conversation before you leave .

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Hello Mrs.Moore.

DR.J :

I wish to know how are things with Freddie currently