Dr. Barbara
Dr. Barbara, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in veterinary medicine and surgery.
56364752

hi i was wondering why lately 1 of my cats (shadow) female.

Customer Question

hi i was wondering why lately 1 of my cats (shadow) female. seems a bit mad and wants to keep biting you or scratching you if you make a fuss of her or sometimes for no reason just go for one of my other cats (like fight or nasty chase) she was a farm cat i think when we got her she was taken away from her mother to soon, As when she lets you make a fuss of her she always starts dribbling from her mouth and i mean a lot.

hope you might be able to shed some light

Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Barbara replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Barbara :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help. Shadow does sound very stressed about something! Hypersalivation (or drooling) can signal this. Just to be safe, has Shadow been vaccinated for rabies? Was she seemingly more relaxed for awhile, and now she is behaving this way?

JACUSTOMER-mq1ukk5s- :

hi yes she was relaxed (ish) before but has started bit by bit behaving this way when she wants to she can be a nice friendly cat until she has enough fuss

JACUSTOMER-mq1ukk5s- :

Thanks so much David for your response.
Of course, whenever a cat starts a new stressful behavior as Shadow is exhibiting, we have to determine if there is a physical problem, or if this is purely a behavioral problem. Since Shadow is quite young, there probably is not a physical problem, but let me run through a list of symptoms and see if you feel comfortable that all is well with Shadow. . .OK?
Is Shadow eating and drinking normally including chewing her food normally (no teeth or gum problems or TMJ)? Is there any sneezing or coughing or eye or nose discharge? Is she breathing normally? Is there any vomiting or diarrhea? Is there any limping or decrease in her normal movement. . .jumping and playing? Finally, is she drinking a normal amount of water and urinating normal amounts with normal frequency? If all of these things seem normal to you, then we can concentrate on behavioral problems. Just let me know and we'll go from there. . .
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She eats lots of bisquets even thought I put lots of wet food down she has good teeth gums etc

Some cats do prefer dry food, so her preference is normal. Before Shadow started seeming so stressed, did you acquire any additional pets, are there new cats roaming your yard, or have any new people moved into your home?
Oh, and also, is Shadow spayed?
Hi David,
I have to excuse myself for a few hours for appointments. I'm pretty sure we are headed for some behavioral modification for Shadow for which I do have several suggestions. I'll be back here in a few hours. . .
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara
Hi David,
I'm now available, so if you would first answer about whether Shadow is spayed or not, this will affect my suggestions to you.
Thanks,
Dr. Barbara
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She is spayed

Excellent! Here are the recommendations to decrease stress in cats that live in a multicat household.
It would be good to put Feliway disperser(s) in the room(s) where Shadow spends most of her time. Feliway is a natural kitty pheromone that is quite calming for many cats. Secondly, it is recommended if you use litter boxes that you have one more litter box than you do cats in your home (if possible) and place them in private but easily accessible places.
Next, it is recommended that you feed your cats twice daily in separate rooms with the doors closed, giving them 15 or so minutes to eat peacefully. When they are done, pick up the food, offering them a meal again about 12 hours later. Food left out is usually a source of stress for cats (even if you can't tell this), and your cats will learn quickly that there will be more food again in their private place and that they don't have to guard or worry about their food.
It is always important to enrich cats' environments with kitty trees for climbing, scratching and most importantly laying up high. High laying is also very stress relieving for cats. Even if your cats go outdoors, it is good to have kitty trees, but if your cats are indoors only, these trees can be very important stress busters. Ideally, it would be best to have one tree per cat, but obviously you can do only what is possible for your home. Another way to enrich cats' lives is to play with them. . .toys on a string that they can jump after, or having them chase a laser light. . .great entertainment for you too!
The most important thing to remember is that cats adjust their behavior very slowly by our standards,so make sure to be patient! Also, some cats really aren't very cuddly and allow only so much fussing. This does seem to more often be the case with female cats, so some of Shadow's actions may be just her personality, but as you remove the stressors in her life and offer environmental enrichment, then she should mellow out.
Concerning her drooling, this is also not unusual for some cats either in stress or when they are comfortable and really like the attention you are giving. Since you are describing her drooling more when she is comfortable, you won't be able to avoid this unless you avoid pleasing and comforting her. . .just be prepared with a towel!
Ultimately, your veterinarian will have drugs to use to decrease anxiety, but these drugs really should be resorted to after you have provided the above recommendations.
I hope these recommendations are helpful for you. If you have more concerns or questions, please just let me know.
Dr. Barbara