PetDoctor2005
PetDoctor2005, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing veterinarian for the past twelve years
65926376

Is it normal for a cat - 2yr old female neutered - to

Is it normal for a cat - 2yr old female neutered - to urinate only once a day?
She seems as lively as ever otherwise.
However she has demonstrated some odd behaviour, rolling around in her litter tray like it was a play area and not urinating or defacating. She has always liked the bag her litter comes in.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PetDoctor2005 replied 3 years ago.

PetDoctor2005 :

Hi! I am a practicing small animal veterinarian and I would be happy to help! Please don't rate my answer until you are FULLY satisfied. Thanks!

PetDoctor2005 :

Cats, in general, are not huge drinkers, so yes, some cats DO only urinate once daily. We get concerned when cats are trying to urinate and are not able to produce anything.

PetDoctor2005 :

As long as you are not finding urine elsewhere (other than the litterbox) it sounds normal to me. The playing in the litterbox, now that sounds like you need to try and engage her attention elsewhere to discourage playing with her litter....not because it is unhealthy, but because I am sure it could make quite a mess!

PetDoctor2005 :

Cats LOVE paper bags...so her litter bag is likely attractive to her. You could try putting a few empty paper bags around for her to play in to get her attention away from the litter.

PetDoctor2005 :

I am assuming she is eating and drinking normally?

Customer:

She eats Orijen kibbles (a Canadian, high protein dry food) and each evening has a small high protein snack (like a piece of chicken or fish). She grazes throughout the day. She has always been a cat who drinks quite a lot and she still does that.

Customer:

I appreciate your comments about the litter tray! I will sort out some paper bags.

PetDoctor2005 :

Ok, it sounds like she is getting a great food. Yes, there are cats who do seem to be at the water bowl more than others....either she is simply waiting until her bladder is full to make a trip to the litter box, or else she is going elsewhere too...but I'm sure you would most likely have noticed that by now..

PetDoctor2005 :

Cats need enrichment to keep them out of trouble sometimes, especially the young ones :)

PetDoctor2005 :

All else being equal...then once a day urination does not concern me..

Customer:

No I don't think she is going elsewhere too and I appreciate your comments as my last cat died some years ago aged 19 so I was used to an old cat and it has been quite an adjustment to get used to Kitty's antics! My previous cat went out but Kitty is a house cat because of my change in residence.

PetDoctor2005 :

I understand...I have two old cats and two young cats in my household, they sure all have different personalities don't they? Kitty keeps you entertained on a daily basis, I'm sure.

PetDoctor2005 :

Anything else I can answer today?

Customer:

No that is fine, you have reassured me.

PetDoctor2005 :

Ok, good! Enjoy the rest of your day!

PetDoctor2005, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Practicing veterinarian for the past twelve years