Dr Gwen
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Ten years experience in critical care, preventative medicine, behavioral, and chronic cases in cats.
21470562

I have 2 cats in my care, both were picked up as strays, both

I have 2 cats in my care, both were picked up as strays, both pregnant.
3 days ago 1 had her kittens, 4 healthy good sized kittens, the other cat did not leave her side and is quite often in the same bed as mum and kittens and the kittens suggle from both cats.
This morning, devastatingly, I have found 1 kitten dead with blood around his mouth and nose, no other injuries. I know this is a sign of trauma or internal bleeding. Could he have squashed or did one of the cats do this on purpose, seeing him as the weakest? He was listless yesterday but he was feeding fine.
I have had lots of litters born in my foster care and this has never happened before.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 3 years ago.

Dr Gwen :

Hello, welcome to Just Answer. I am sorry to hear about the tragic death of one of the kittens, and I am sure you are very upset. Are you able to see any evidence of puncture wounds or scratches on the body?

Customer:

There are no marks on the

Customer:

No marks on his body at all

Dr Gwen :

While this may sound a bit gruesome, can you tell if any parts of the body are a bit 'flat'?

Customer:

No, he looks perfect apart from the blood with

Customer:

No, he is perfect apart from the blood which

Customer:

Sorry, keep sending rubbish. The blood is from his nose, his mouth is clean

Dr Gwen :

Ok, thank you for the added information.
I do think this case sounds like a terrible accident, and it will be difficult to determine which of the adult cats caused the trauma, but the situation sounds as though this kitten was inadvertently crushed for long enough to cause the demise. It doesn't take very long once pressure is applies to the body of such a small kitten, and without outward signs of prolonged pressure (flattening), it was likely an accident.

Dr Gwen :

As much as the other adult cat is wanting to be part of this litter, I think it will be in the best interest of the rest of the kittens to prevent future snuggling.

Customer:

I am in the process of separating them since at the moment it is the other cat with kittens not the mum cat, she is on the bed next to them but not actually with them?

Dr Gwen :

It will be helpful to separate them as the other cat sounds like it is trying a bit hard to take over as mum, and may be squelching some of the maternal behavior in the true mother. It will be soon enough that both cats will have their fill of kittens!

Dr Gwen :

Hopefully you will have two peaceful litters soon. Good luck with both cats, and I hope the rest of the kittens do well.

Customer:

Many thanks for advice.

Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 3 years ago.
I hope things have settled down with the two cats and the kittens. Do you have any additional questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am happy to report that since separating the 2 mum cats, everything has been fine. I now have to litters in my care! 3 x 15 days and 4 x 5 days. All gaining weight well and both mums are happy contended girls.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease when I lost the kitten. Although I knew there was nothing I had done wrong, I had to 'cover all bases'. I have been fostering for 5 years and have seen many litters from birth to their new homes but this is only the 2nd I have lost and this was the youngest.

Many thanks again.

Expert:  Dr Gwen replied 3 years ago.
Good to hear it is all going well. Congratulations on the success, and good luck with raising and placing everyone in new homes.
Dr Gwen, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Ten years experience in critical care, preventative medicine, behavioral, and chronic cases in cats.