Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Hi my cat has hardly eaten in the last 2/3 days she is drinking

Hi my cat has hardly eaten in the last 2/3 days she is drinking and has eaten a raw egg
She is very lethargic and just sleeps she is nearly nineteen
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
I'm so sorry to hear that Bonnie is refusing to eat and is lethargic.

At her age we do need to sorry about serious illnesses such as kidney or liver failure, diabetes, primary intestinal disease or unfortunately cancer.

Bonnie needs an examination by her veterinarian and some blood tests.
Usually we start out with a complete blood count, biochemistry profile and thyroid level as baseline blood testing.
In cases like Bonnie I will recommend further testing if those tests come out within normal limits including a feline specific pancreatic lipase test as well as a urinalysis looking for signs of infection or excess protein loss into the urine which would indicate kidney disease.

In your kitty's case I would be suspicious of chronic pancreatitis, liver disease, kidney failure or primary intestinal disease, including inflammatory bowel disease, or even infiltrative cancers. Since you didn't mention increased water consumption diabetes is less likely but still possible, especially given her previous history of diabetes.

Another test that could be very helpful is an abdominal ultrasound as that will allow us to look at the architecture of the organs as well as collecting aspirates of any areas that look suspicious.
Finally an endoscopy or abdominal exploratory may be needed to achieve a diagnosis.

At this point getting her seen as soon as possible is best. While we are waiting for results of diagnostic testing she can be supported with injectable anti-nausea drugs, intravenous fluids and appetite stimulants.

In the meantime at home to try and settle her stomach and combat nausea you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help her feel better so that she will eat for you. They are quite safe and can be used as needed, even long term.

I also recommend feeding soft foods mixed with water to make eating and swallowing more comfortable, and the food more enticing.

If she is refusing to eat even soft foods you can try offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow as well as increase her fluid intake.

Best of luck with Bonnie, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.