Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

my cat is 16 she has ben passing a lot of blood in her

my cat is 16 she has ben passing a lot of blood in her urine ,she had an antibiotic injection 11days ago for what the vet thought was cystitis, she is on a daily dose of metacam for stiff joints, but she has started to pass blood again when she does a wee, we have got some special cat litter from the vets to try and get a sample of her wee but to no avail, what do you advise.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Maggie :

Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am going to try to answer your question today.

Dr. Maggie :

It sounds as if Loopy is going to have to go in to see your vet so they can collect the urine.

Dr. Maggie :

Collecting urine from a cat is fairly simple using a procedure called a cystocentesis.

Dr. Maggie :

Your vet should be able to do this during your visit assuming Loopy is well hydrated and hasn't urinated just before being seen.

Dr. Maggie :

Sometimes at my clinic if the owner is having trouble I just have them drop the cat off for the day for us to collect it.

Dr. Maggie :

If bloodwork hasn't been run recently on Loopy that would likely be a good idea as well as prolonged Metacam usage in cats can lead to kidney trouble.

Dr. Maggie :

Any additional questions I can help you with?

Customer:

we have to get the vet to visit loopy at home (at extra cost) because when we go to get her in her box she stress wee's and now also poo's, it is a nightmare to visit vets, how long can we leave it I am worried she is in pain although she is eating well, she will not eat cat food so we have fed her tune (in spring water) for years she does have cat biscuits and plenty of water to drink also small drops of milk, could her diet have anything to do with her problems.

Dr. Maggie :

First, collecting urine yourself at home really isn't as accurate as having a fresh sample. This is because if left at room temperature certain types of crystals can form in the urine, causing skewed results. So if at all possible, it would be much better if you could either get your cat in to see your vet or get the vet to collect the urine via a cystocentesis when he/she visits your house.

Dr. Maggie :

If she is too stressed on the day you are transporting her to the vet, then maybe taking her to the vet and boarding her for a day would work so they can collect the urine there.

Dr. Maggie :

Really both a urinalysis and bloodwork are needed and soon as an untreated urinary tract infection can progress to a kidney infection if left untreated.

Dr. Maggie :

If you would like some tips on how to lessen the stress of your next vet visit you can visit the following link:

Dr. Maggie :

As far as the food, if she is just eating tuna, that isn't a balanced diet so it may have something to do with her health issues.

Dr. Maggie :

However, I am not sure what you mean by cat biscuits, if that is a dried cat food or just treats.

Dr. Maggie :

Also, about 40% of adult cats are lactose intolerant, so I am not a big fan of milk for adult cats.

Dr. Maggie :

But if she seems to be tolerating it okay then that is fine.

Dr. Maggie :

If you are going to do a homemade diet I would consult with a veterinary nutritionist to make sure it is appropriately balanced.

Customer:

cat biscuits are the whiskas dry cat food

Dr. Maggie :

A urinalysis will let you know if there is any underlying issue (such as crystals) that may be diet related. So you may find your answer to this question once the test is complete.

Dr. Maggie :

Excellent that would be more balanced than tuna alone.

Dr. Maggie :

So in short, I would either try to get your vet to collect the urine while she is there visiting or have her take the cat back to the clinic with her to board for a day or so that a urinalysis and bloodwork can be completed.

Dr. Maggie :

Any other questions I can help you with?

Customer:

thank you for that chat will speak to my vets in morning.

Dr. Maggie :

You are very welcome. If you found this information helpful, please rate my response positively so I can get compensated for my time.

Dr. Maggie :

Good luck with Loopy!

Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner