Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our cat came home limping on Sunday. She seems well, eating

Customer Question

Our cat came home limping on Sunday. She seems well, eating and been out today, but we noticed last night that her pad is black, not pink like the other one. She won't let me look at it. what do you think she has done to it. She is a climber and a predator.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :
Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.
Scott Nimmo :

Just a thought, I know your cat is lame but they often have different pigment on their paws, one pad can be pink and the other black, this is normal. Does the pad look and feel normal other than the colour ?

JACUSTOMER-fhr5hxbp- :

It does feel normal although she is not happy about me touching it. obviously we haven't noticed before the difference in colour and thought she may have bruised it. She's not happy about putting her paw flat and when standing holds it off the ground but she can still use it to walk and has run away from us. it seems sore but am hoping it will improve.

Scott Nimmo :

Ok thanks for that ... One of the commonest things that a small animal veterinary surgeons sees in his consulting room is lame cats. Luckily most of these lamenesses are trivial and are easily put right.

Scott Nimmo :

There are two main causes you would initially consider, these being infections and trauma.

Scott Nimmo :

1. Lameness due to infection: If your cat wanders on it's own and is a hunter then cat bite abscesses are the main culprit in my experience, some lesions are obvious with puncture marks, redness and swelling of the foot or pad with perhaps pus discharging. Other abscesses are more difficult to spot as they are deep in the tissues of the pad and you may see nothing on the surface.

Scott Nimmo :

2. Lameness due to trauma: Cats are agile creatures and even indoor cats can have a mad half hour and this of course could lead to a soft tissue injury such as a strain or sprain or a pulled muscle in the leg. Again outdoor cats can suffer from this ..

Scott Nimmo :

What to do about it? : Where it is an infection these conditions can be treated with antibiotics but some need lancing.

Scott Nimmo :

But where it is traumatic in origin treatment here would be rest plus perhaps prescribed veterinary anti-inflammatory drugs .

Scott Nimmo :

The bottom line? : If things do not improve with a little rest then my advice is that you should have Willow checked over by your vet as more often than not antibiotics are required and there is often little scope for home treatment other than rest.

Scott Nimmo :

That's about the whole picture, can I help you further ....

JACUSTOMER-fhr5hxbp- :

i am really sorry that you have left me without any answer. or even to say you don't know. it was a complete waste of money as you didn't even tell me to go to the vets.

Hello again Denise,

Perhaps there was a bug or other to prevent you seeing my dialogue, never mind I will paste it below again.

Regards,

Scott.

Scott Nimmo :
Scott Nimmo :

JACUSTOMER-fhr5hxbp- :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

Scott Nimmo :

JACUSTOMER-fhr5hxbp- :

Hello again Denise,

I am still standing by ...

Regards,

Scott