Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My cat, who has always been clean has started pooing on my

Customer Question

My cat, who has always been clean has started pooing on my bed, he often miaows before and i have carried him out to the garden, but he runs back in and dirties on my bed
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

From what you have told me, it appears that Motley is suffering from some type of stress that has caused this inappropriate elimination. This could be due to a territorial issue or some other stress. The first thing to do is to have your vet examine Motley to be sure there is not a medical reason for this behavior. If this is ruled out, the next thing you need to do is to purchase from any pet store a product called Feliway. This is a feline pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will discourage this bad behavior. Follow the directions on the bottle. Next, make sure to change all litter boxes to different places especially where there is little traffic. Keep these boxes extremely clean.

Try using different types of litter and make sure to clean these areas with an odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle.

Use aluminum foil or double sided tape in the problem areas which may discourage using these spots.

If this is not sufficient, your vet has medication that can help with this problem and, if used along with the Feliway, hopefully, will be successful. These medications are antianxiety drugs such as Fluoxetine or Clomipramine. Here is a website that has more tips:

www.petplace.com/cats/inappropriate-elimination/page1.aspx

Click CLOSE WINDOWS to get into this site.

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/cat-behavior-problem-medications

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have had him checked by a vet and he says he is ok.

My housemate has other cats and I know Motley is nervous of one of them, but they have been sharing for a year, so why now.

I cant cover my whole bed with tin foil, but it seems this is the only area he feels safe.

I am moving soon, Motley is a nervous traveller and I'm moving to a place that has no other cats but a gentle dog, don't know if this will make things worse?

HI Melanie....this reaction is anxiety that Motley is feeling...this is why the Feliway may help and if this is not enough, add teh medication especially if you move again. This is very stressful on Motley and this could make things worse without some help.

Does that help, Melanie?

Thank you so much, Melanie, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. Hopefully, Motley will be able to acclimate to his new environment.

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, will see if I can get him some calming medication from the vet.

When we move what is the best way to introduce him to the dog, he has no experience of dogs, I am thinking of settling him in a room and putting a gate at the door so they can see each other but not get to each other, or is there a better way please

That is a good start, Melanie...let them see each other without being able to get to each other.

This LINK will give more tips that will help poor Motley through this stressful chnage.