Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My cat has a tumour on his thyroid .. Hes about 15 yrs old

My cat has a tumour on his thyroid .. He's about 15 yrs old , now on medication forever , he has lost loads of weight and has stopped grooming himself , so I'm having to get him shaved frequently .. He appears senile , lost and very jumpy .. He seems to have little control of bladder ., forgetting where he is .. I'm unsure whether I should put him to sleep ?
I cry constantly about this decision as I've never had to do it .. Any advice please ?
My vet appears to be happy to leave him weeing every where and keep h on pills but the pills don't seem to do anything
I'm distrought and upset to see my cat this way

Judy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Whiskers.

Judy, its all about the quality of life. Either your vet can help provide it with medical management or they can't.

Now, hyperthyroidism is quite common. The dose Whiskers may be on could be insufficient for lower the thyroid hormone level. So, I would suggest getting in to the vet and request a basic blood and urine test.

Why?
1. You want to know how high the thyroid level may be so it can be determined if the dose should be increased. If so, a dose increase may help a lot!

2. The bladder issue. We see a lot of urinary tract infections due to thyroid problems. In addition, if the thyroid is still high, a lot of cats will still drink a lot and pee a lot.

So, there could be some hope, but you need to know where the values are at.

I do understand if testing is too expensive and you can't do anything else, than I would disagree if you wanted to do euthanasia. Whiskers is 15, and he has lived to 15 with your support. You simply do the best you can. No reason to be upset. Distraught? Yes, but that is too be expected with the possible loss of a pet.

Very sorry about this tough decision, and although I have never met Whiskers, I would support you with whatever decision you make.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was that agrees or disagrees with euthanasia ??
I'm not sure the sentance made sense ?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
It's either Judy.
I would suggest getting a recheck blood and urine test, just so you know the status of the thyroid, if it is controlled or not, and if there are any other serious problems like a urinary tract infection or kidney disease that is worsening the urinary problems.

It would help you with closure to be more certain that you are making the right decision. So, I do vote for some basic testing first.

But, if too expensive, based on the information provided, I would not disagree if you wanted to do euthanasia now.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy