Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 15 year old cat hasnt eaten or had a drink since Tuesday.

My 15 year old cat hasn't eaten or had a drink since Tuesday. She is very lethargic and dribbling from her mouth. She is mobile but very sleepy. She has deteriorated very rapidly, she swamped her normal self on Monday.

Thank you for your help
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Millie is drooling, is very lethargic and has a poor appetite.

Drooling and a decreased appetite can be related to eating something bitter (a bug or plant) or bad tasting, having something caught between her teeth, nausea, or mouth pain from gum disease or bad teeth. Because she is an older cat tooth and gum disease and organ failure with secondary nausea would be most likely with the amount of drooling she is doing.
I would look closely into her mouth if you can to see if you can see redness, ulcers or anything caught. Look under her tongue as well for a mass or ulcers.

At this point ideally she does need to see a veterinarian for an examination, injection to quell her nausea and to run some blood tests to look for any signs of metabolic organ disease.

Tonight to try to settle her stomach you can try giving either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and could help his stomach settle. They are quite safe and can be used as needed for a few days.

Then in an hour or so offer small amounts of water, clear broths or small amounts of baby food.
If that goes well in several hours you can try offering a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, shredded white chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer and easier to eat and swallow, more palatable and increase fluid intake.

Even if she seems to feel a little better at her age she should see her veterinarian for an examination, blood tests, injectable medication, intravenous fluids and supportive care tomorrow.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.