Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have two cats - one of which has been diagnosed with kidney

I have two cats - one of which has been diagnosed with kidney disease and so I have started to feed him on renal cat food. Is it OK if my other cat also has this renal diet?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.

Well, ideally, no. If the other cat is a kitten or a young adult, it is definitely preferred that they eat a regularly balanced diet with sufficient protein.

However, if the other cat is a senior cat, at least over 10, than I don't think your vet would mind if she is on a renal diet. Kidney disease is one of the most common conditions diagnosed in older cats. So, if already older, I would be less concerned that the restricted protein and phosphorous diet would cause any harm. Great question to ask.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy