Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

stable cat has been losing hair along his spine and root of

Customer Question

stable cat has been losing hair along his spine and root of his tail.
Do you think it could be rabbit mites.?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Please tell me : Is Paddy otherwise fit and well and not showing any other symptoms of any sort { No matter how trivial } ?

JACUSTOMER-0gqhwku0- : yes
Scott Nimmo :

OK, here we go ... Hair loss in this sort of region is usually allergic in origin whereas if it was related to mites { rabbit or otherwise } then there would be a more random distribution of the skin lesions.

JACUSTOMER-0gqhwku0- : yes he seems ok
Scott Nimmo :

So what could Paddy be allergic to? : Well where there is hair loss along the back it is normally a flea related dermatitis, some cats are allergic to a small protein component of flea bites. This is seen from time to time so even if the flea bit on the lower tummy the skin lesions would always break out along the back.

Scott Nimmo :

What to do about it? : Well this is rarely a very serious disease but the first step would be to make sure Paddy gets stringent flea control. Something like Frontline applied monthly would be first class.

Scott Nimmo :

This alone may do the trick, if not an anti-allergy shot from the vet plus flea control should do the trick ... and just suppose it was mites of some sort the Frontline would take care of that as well ...