Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I had a knee operation at Christmas and my niece took in my

I had a knee operation at Christmas and my niece took in my male cat - aged six-to look after him. She already has three female cats and he has settled her home very well. The thing is, is that I am now contemplating whether to take him back or not. He will be stuck in my house all day, by himself, compared to having the company of his new friends in my niece's house. The few times I have gone for a visit he has completely ignored me! My heart wants to do the selfish thing and bring him back to me. My head - and my heart - are telling me that I should let him stay put. What do think?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Simon.

Well, a few things.
1. I am assuming your niece is willing to keep him.
2. Cats do not transition well, usually. If Simon is doing well with the other cats...no hissing...problems with fighting...not seeming withdrawn and confined in one room...than he likely is thriving with the other cats. In that case, I think staying with the other cats is preferred, so Simon doesn't have to transition again.

3. Would Simon be okay if you took him? Sure

I know its tough. But, I do generally try to avoid movement and changing the routine for cats as much as possible.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy