Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My 17 year old female cat has Kidney problems, and I have

My 17 year old female cat has Kidney problems, and I have to give her Renalzin. She has become extremely constipated, and when she does do a poo, it is as hard as a rock. Poor little soul. Do you have any help for me, so that I can make her life more comfortable ?.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

I would try canned food because it contains more moisture. Then I would try mixing some canned pumpkin in with the canned food once or twice daily- start with a tablespoon daily. I would give her Miralax starting at a dose of 1/4 teaspoon twice daily mixed with canned food... since it is tasteless she should not mind. If she is extremely constipated right now she may need an enema from a veterinarian, but the above methods can help prevent further constipation. You can continue the lactulose along with the above methods.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I use food in a pouch which is moist and I have bought tinned pumpkin. Tinned cat food does not have the selection of the pouches.? I have a fussy eater, and I doubt she will like tinned food which is not plentiful in the way of verity ?.

Okay, the pouches are great, I thought you were feeding dry food. The pouches should be fine to mix with the pumpkin and the Miralax, or you can try Miralax and 1/2 teaspoon of Metamucil if she won't eat the pumpkin.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have further questions, and please remember to rate my service. Take care.