Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a 9 month tabby unspayed female cat. i have her booked

I have a 9 month tabby unspayed female cat. i have her booked in at the vets on wednesday to be spayed after i was worried due to her having a vaginal dischage which began 3-4 weeks ago (i thought she must be in heat) which is getting worse (over the last few days she is secreting more). It doesnt smell. doesnt contain blood and is yellowish cream in colour. the vet guessed at a vaginitis infection and is unsure as to whether she is pregnant but will remove any kittens during spaying. which will hopefully also sort infection if this is case. tonight she is bringing up small amounts of spit and wretching a little. she ate at tea time as normal. she hasn't brought it up. should i take her back to the vets sooner or do you think wednesday is ok? angela mawson
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Lola.
I vote for a vet visit sooner. In addtion, I would start her on immediate antibiotics to address any possible uterine or vaginal infection.

Great that she ate okay, but that spit up concern could be the start of something really developing. Better to start treating sooner than later.

If possible, I vote for a visit today or by tomorrow.

Sorry to hear she is having this concern. Hopefully, still simple to address.
I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select the tab, REPLY TO EXPERT, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving, please remember to select the RATE TO FINISH tab to provide a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate so I am recognized by Justanswer for responding. My goal is to provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

bearing in mind the discharge what could the spit mean? i.e is it linked to the infection?

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 2 years ago.
Hi Angela,
Yes, could be linked.

For example, cats with a urinary tract infection, can feel so bad or nauseated, that they will vomit.

I am thinking this is something similar. I could be wrong, but best guess.

Although not easy to give cats pills, you can give a ¼ tablet of Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid up to every 12 hours.
Pepcid is great for helping to settle a cat's stomach.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory.
Dr. Andy