Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my cat has a patch of flaky skin on her back and on close inspection

my cat has a patch of flaky skin on her back and on close inspection it kind of looks like the flakes associated with psroriasis . Her fur also lacks lustre around this area. what can i do to help her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she licking the area?
2- Is she strictly indoors?
3- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is an indoor cat and has a diet of dried food. I normally brush her every other day, but since I noticed this flaky area I have thought it best to refrain from brushing. Her skin feels quite greasy too. She has not been licking this that much or as far as i have noticed. This flaky skin has been going on for about three weeks now. i did consider putting some cod liver oil on her biscuits

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Nicki, it sounds like she may have a localized infection. This is what you can do:

1- Do not let her lick the area or the medication below, if she does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop her from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter