Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

MY CAT HAS A SORE THROAT

MY CAT HAS A SORE THROAT
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe what you are seeing in Fluff?
2- How long has this been going on?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MY PAL WAS MINDING THE CAT WHEN i WAS AWAY FOR ABOUT TEN DAys,when i returned i noticed fluff was coughing a good bit and occasionnally from her tummy.If i tickle under her chin she has a c fit almost immiadiately.Its a dry cough no phlem.She seems to be eating quite mormally.sleeps quite a bit but does choose to go outside to relax in the sunshine,Her cat of hair seems normal,She doesnt seem to "wash" herself as much as before maybe sore to move parts of her body for this ritual?she will jump up on my lap and start to wheeze before she settles down, please help me help her

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Is she strictly indoors?
2- What happens with her tummy? Can you elaborate?
3- Any changes in the way she breaths?
4- Is she eating and drinking?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is indoor outdoor cat, But my friend had her confined to the kitchen for most of the day and I think fluff wanted out?Maybe her throat was sore from crying to get out.you see i am usually in the house all day and then suddenly I was gone.

her tummy was injured while back but it is ok now,Its not sore

When she is bit of convulsion i see her tummy constricting too.When I tickle her neck she immediatelty does a dry cough and then I can hear her trying to swallow her saliva with difficuty.

Her gums look normal light pink colour

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Has her voice changed?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes her voice has changed and she doesnt use it as much

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Yvone, if her voice changed it sounds like she has laryngitis, which is common when they are being very vocal. Very similar to us when we scream a lot in a sporting event our voice can become hoarse. Typically, we recommend giving it time and placing the cat in a room where they don't meow a lot; within 1-2 weeks it will get better without any medications.
The other concern is that she is coughing. Cats as a species normally do not cough and when they do it is often associated with an underlying heart or lung disease. To be on the safe side I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to listen to her heart & lungs and make certain this is a case of laryngitis and not something more serious like heart or lung disease. Unfortunately, not much I can recommend as far as over the counter medication. Until she is seen by family veterinarian keep her in an area where she is not stimulated to meow.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter