Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience.
14018973

We adopted an eight year old female tabby cat from Cats Protection

We adopted an eight year old female tabby cat from Cats Protection four weeks ago, We are very satisfied with all aspects of her behaviour apart from one thing, she shows no desire to go outside even though we have a large garden, I wondered if this is because my wife will not allow her out on her own, but chaperones her to make sure she does not run away, we have blocked up the cat flap, but the cat seems happy enough just sleeping all day in the room she came to initially, she does not socialize with us very much, she does come down now and again but not for any length of time, what can we do?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 13 years. Thank you for your question about this situation with your new girl. I also want to thank you for giving this girl a great new home! I wish more people would consider adopting pets in similar situations. Every cat has a unique personality. No one cat is exactly the same as another. That being said, no one cat can be made to do anything that isn't a part of their personality. For the most part, it seems like this girl is going to be a very quiet and laid back cat. She may not want to go out as she doesn't want to have that adventure. Some are more than happy to be at peace in the house and do all the things they want there. Honestly, the best thing you can do is to make sure she's happy by continuing to offer her chances for stimulation / socialization. She will more than likely become more and more comfortable as more time goes by. It can take a couple months or more for some to totally become at ease with their new environment. So continue to interact with her and play with her and more than likely she'll become more social as more time passes. Please let me know what questions this brings up by hitting reply.