Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi. My 8 month old kitten has recently started vomiting, with

Customer Question

Hi. My 8 month old kitten has recently started vomiting, with occasional lack of appetite and lethargy. This happened a couple of days ago and then he was fine yesterday, eating and playing, but today he has vomited again and won't eat and is lethargic.

I'm wondering if it is down to his diet, which is poor. He will only eat cooked chicken pieces and occasionally cheese. I have tried every single brand of cat/kitten food, from the cheap end to very expensive with no luck and different ways of serving (mixing the chicken in with cat food) I know I have created the problem and could be why he is now suffering. Could you please offer any advice?

Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
HEllo,
I am sorry to hear about Raisin. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I don't think you created the problem; Raisin sounds like he may be sick to me. If he is vomiting, he may be nauseous and that is why he is vomiting.

Is his weight normal? If you look at his gums, are they a normal bright pink color?

There are many reasons for a kitten to vomit, and be lethargic. If he were mine, I would check his gum color, take his temperature (normal is between 101 and 102), feel his lymph nodes and internal organs. If his gums look at all pale in color, I might check some basic blood tests: red blood cell and white blood cell counts; maybe test for the kitten viruses like feline leukemia if that has not been done.

You can try offering baby food, and broth, to try to get some nutrition into him.

Please let me know what else I can answer or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the great rating. How is Raisin doing?

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply. Raisin seems to be doing better now. As you advised, I checked his gums which were pink and his vomiting seems to have stopped.

My other cats started vomiting the following day with the same symptoms but now they all seem to have recovered. It's like they had a bug, but I wasn't aware that they could catch sickness bugs from each other?

Raisin is now eating a little more cat food which is a relief.

Thank you once again for your reply. It gave me great reassurance.

Vicky
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am glad to hear I was helpful, and that Raisin is better. It does sound like they were sharing a "bug" and I hope they are all better soon.

Rebecca