Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

Hi, My cat is 2yrs old and has been coughing up fur recently,

Hi, My cat is 2yrs old and has been coughing up fur balls recently, but just a few minutes ago he coughed up a white kind of mucus, but he still eating and drinking and still very playful. He's also an indoor cat so he never ventures outside. So do I need to take him to the vets?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

At this point you likely don't need to take him to the vet. You are correct that this was an episode of vomiting rather than normal hairball production. As long as he doesn't cough up the mucus more than 1-2 more times and continues to still be normally active and a normal appetite then there is no need to take him to the vet. What you look for in order to decide to take him to the vet is multiple white or yellow episodes of vomiting, low appetite, or low activity then he needs to see the vet. If he becomes rapidly weak or has bloody vomit then it's an emergency and the vet should be contacted immediately.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much, I will keep a close eye on him.