Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Hi the symptoms of my 13 year old cat has been going on for

Customer Question

Hi the symptoms of my 13 year old cat has been going on for months, but the vets say they can not find out what is wrong with him. I am very concerned as he has had crystals before and has had two operations...and dont want him stressed..

He is uncomfortable sitting on his bottom, and shifts around a lot then decides he's better off laying down, he also scoots a lots and has had regular worming, and his sacs checked and all is clear....he has also had bloods tests which do not show anything. He now is becoming very jumpy.

He has increased appettie but is on a restricted diet as he is over weight, he drinks plenty of water....and now is moewing a lot when he moves..

Hope you can help

Tina
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

This does sound concerning. It sounds like your vet has checked for the easy causes of this (parasites/worms, anal sac disease) and I assume he has no diarrhea or obvious skin irritation. My next concern would be that he might have back pain or Caudal Equina syndrome (this is pain right where the spine ends, where all the nerves exit). Is he sensitive when you touch his back or near his tail?

Dr. Joey :

(I meant Cauda Equina syndrome, not "caudal")

Customer:

Yes, he gets quite nervous when I go anywhere near his rear end, and on occasion has lashed out at me...and there is no sign of missing fur....and def. no diarrhea. t

Dr. Joey :

I do, then, worry that this could be true pain that is radiating from this area. The next step indicated would probably be an x-ray but I must warn you we usually see nothing. However, it is well worth the xray to ensure there is not an obvious infection (bacterial, fungal) or bone tumor in the area. A trial with pain relief such as use of gabapentin may be in order to see if this helps him be more comfortable. Ultimately if your vet suspects back pain that might be due to Cauda Equina Syndrome or even a true slipped disk injury, then he might need to be referred to see a neurologist for advanced imaging (usually a CT or MRI scan).

Customer:

oh yes I forgot...he's on metacam each day for the discomfort...but it doesn't seem to make much difference

Dr. Joey :

This is where a drug like gabapentin might help since it is a bit better with neurological pain, but still I am very worried that he is not responding to pain relief. Further testing is warranted. This poor guy!

Dr. Joey :

Alternatively, acupuncture may be another route for pain relief that you could look into for him. Cats actually tolerate this quite well.

Customer:

would this condition also have muscle spasms? as he seems to 'twitch/pasam' at the back from time to time

Customer:

he's not very good at being handled by others, he goes mad

Dr. Joey :

Either issue I mentioned could have muscle spasms (trembling, twitching) just due to pain. However, if he has a lot of one-sided limb spasms (true movement that looks uncontrolled) then this could be a partial seizure event. These, however, are not usually painful and I do not suspect this as the cause.

For his behavior of getting upset, if he is very painful then this could make him grumpy about being handled.

Dr. Joey :

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Hi, alright, I'll see what the vet says, thankyou for the information today, t