Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
21779527

My cat has heart failure and is on Frusol as she is retaining

My cat has heart failure and is on Frusol as she is retaining a lot of fluid. She has found a place outside very shealtered right by the house and wants to stay there. She also has Metacam for joint pain. I haven't given her Frusol today but she has had pain relief. She hasn't moved for about 36 hours to even pass uruine. The only thing she is taking orally is rain water. She just moves around a little to ease her bones
Should i bring her inside
should I give her her Frusol
could I give her extra pain relief.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 3 years ago.
My name isXXXXX I have been a small animal veterinarian for 12 years.

I'm sorry to hear about your poor kitty. I would definitely bring her inside. Try to get her in a soft, warm, quiet place. Offer her some diluted chicken broth and/or tuna juice and see if she will take some of that. The Frusol should make her thirsty.

I wouldn't give her any additional metacam. It can put a strain on her kidneys and she really needs all the kidney function she has or even more fluid will build up.

When heart failure causes fluid to build up in the abdomen, it is very difficult to get rid of it and very difficult for them to get comfortable. I think that cats in this condition are very weak and don't feel well, but it's not necessarily a painful thing... just weak and difficult to get comfortable. Is she having any trouble breathing? You are right, this is probably end stage for her. Try to make her as comfortable and warm as possible and it might be necessary to consider euthanasia if you feel she is suffering.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions or need clarification, please let me know.

Dr. Stacy