Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I came home this evening, to find my cat sitting at the unlocked

I came home this evening, to find my cat sitting at the unlocked flap. When I spoke to him he yowled at me(unusual as he doesn't talk much). He then fussed at the door until I opened it, he then dashed out and threw up his biscuits. He came back inside and went to sit on a chair by the radiator and hasn't moved since. Nor has he eaten or drunk anything since. He is 2 years old and usually out do his thing till its bedtime. How worried should I be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?
2- Is he urinating?
3- Can you touch his belly and see if this is painful (careful not to get scratch)?
4- Any changes in breathing?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. Just tonight.

2. Hasn't since I came home at 6pm.

3. Yes I can

4. His nose is a little runny.

He seems to be picking up a little, although still no interest in food or water and he won't let me pick him up.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- Can you please let me know if he is painful upon touching his belly?
2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he doesn't seem to mind me touching his belly. His gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Colleen the symptoms that you are describing in Mio are a bit of a concern. You see, common causes that would cause these symptoms are: Toxicity, heart disease, urinary blockage, infections (fever), trauma, etc. to name a few causes.
In this case, we are very limited as to what you will be able to do at home. The best option for Mio is to have him checked tonight by ER veterinarian, most of the above mentioned diseases can be fatal if not treated early. Unfortunately, there is not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any signficant therapeutic benefit. Treatment will be based on exam and test results. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your honesty.Will contact my vet.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
You're welcome Colleen. Please keep me posted. Best of Luck!

Dr. Peter