DR.J
DR.J, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Hi I have given houseroom to a local stray. The vet suggested

Customer Question

I have given houseroom to a local stray. The vet suggested that she might have a ruptured achilles tendon in each back foot which means that she can't walk on her toes.She has apparently been like this for a number of months.
If this is the case
1) is it remediable and would this be expensive?
2) Is she in pain? - she doesnt seem to be.
3) she seems to be managing ok - is it best therefore left alone?
4) What could have caused it?
She is otherwise in good health, possibly a Maine Coon and I would like to rehome her but dont want to pass on any major problems.
Fiona Moir
Category: Cat
Expert:  DR.J replied 2 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your problem

DR.J :

Hi Fiona .

DR.J :

first let me say how wonderful it is that you have taking in this cat .

DR.J :

The Diagnosis of both tendons being ruptured needs to be investigated by means of ultrasound to be sure unless you can see an obvious wound in both legs .

DR.J :

In case this is indeed a ruptured tendon on both legs , the ability to fix it with surgery depends on when the injury occurred . If it is a long standing injury then it is most possible that the edges of the tendons can not be placed together again as the body with cause them to shrink and get embedded in the nearby tissue. In case is it fresh ' there is still a chance to place both edges together using a special technique but this means as well long time of cage rest and splints to prevent from putting tension on the area .

DR.J :

There is no pain involved with such injury

DR.J :

Animals can survive without these tendons being fully operational but they are limited in their ability . This tendon combines within it a number of tendons which which are used for stability , gait and the ability to jump (most important in cats) . and so an animal without these would need to be taken care of . making sure there is no excessive friction of the foot with the floor . cats should be indoor cats (the lack of ability to jump means that they would find it hard to escape if needed to) . the bottom line is that animals can live without this but they need close monitoring as well as physiotherapy to the muscles and joints which are no longer in use.

DR.J :

In regards to what could have cause it - it could with be a sever trauma such as - car accident , sharp object like broken glass - I would expect a sign of external wound (or healed wound). another option would be a congenital (meaning she was born with it ) deformity which U can see is not the case .

DR.J :

I think there is no problem rehoming her as long as the person taking her knows the liabilities involved.

DR.J :

I hope this helps.

DR.J :

If you have any further questions please let me know and I would be glad to help.

DR.J :

All the best to you both.

DR.J :

James

DR.J :

Please do not forget to rate us before you leave this conversation

DR.J :

Hi . Just wanted to know how your cat is doing ?

DR.J :

Has my answer be useful ?