Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi We have a stray cat that we feed. It has been coming for

Customer Question

We have a stray cat that we feed. It has been coming for 2 years and now lets us stroke it when we feed it. It is a semi long haired cat, his fur is matted and has clumps. About 2 weeks a clump appeared to have been torn off but now clumps are coming off all over. What should I do as in the long term I want to keep this cat if it can trust us.
Ann
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Hello Ann,

Rebecca :

Thank you for helping this stray cat.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

What you describe is not unusual in long haired cats. If they get matted down to the skin, the mats eventually peel off like you are seeing.

Rebecca :

The only way to prevent it would be regular grooming, and if he won't trust you yet, you can't do that.

Rebecca :

Some owners of long haired cats will have them in every spring to be shaved down.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

These long haired cat will form these clumps when the fine undercoat sheds and gets tangled in the longer outer "guard hairs".

Rebecca :

I will try another way to connect with you if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I hope you can now see what I am saying. Please let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hiya thankyou for your advice, sorry for the late reply, had to nip out. But this helps as it was quite alarming to see such large chunks of fur coming off, and we hadn't seen this happen to him before and didn't know if we needed to take him to a vet, which would have been quite difficult. So we will just keep an eye on it for now

Thankyou for your help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. These cats can look pretty bad when these mats peel off.

Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else. Kindly consider rating my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello Ann,
How is your stray cat doing?

Rebecca