Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Normally healthy cat dribbling to excess. Aged two. Has had

Customer Question

Normally healthy cat dribbling to excess. Aged two. Has had appropriate inoculations We did have some anti-weed stuff laid on the lawn which the gardener described as harmless. However, this has been down for a week.
Cat ate her supper without any ado. We live in Edinburgh suburbs and I have heard nothing of rabies in the area.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin :

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin

Dr. Michael Salkin :

Although Boots may currently look like 'ol Yeller, I can assure you that the UK is rabies-free. Acute ptyalism (hypersalivation) usually appears after our cats have licked something unpleasant tasting, irritating, or corrosive. In addition, gastrointestinal distress/nausea/heartburn is also seen in these cats. Her eating her dinner uneventfully, however, should rule out gastrointestinal distress. As long as boots is otherwise well, I would simply "watchful wait" and expect her to remiss shortly. If her drooling persisted for more than a couple of hours, you can administer 1/4 of a 10mg PepcidTwo tablet in case heartburn exists. If her drooling persisted inspite of that antacid administration, it would be prudent to have Boots's vet take a look at her in the morning.

Dr. Michael Salkin :

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

If Boots will allow, please carefully examine her oral cavity for any evidence of trauma - focal redness, ulceration, a tear in her tongue, e.g. Simple trauma should also be considered in such a patient.