Dr. Maggie
Dr. Maggie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian, General Practitioner
63244966

We have a spayed female cat about 12-13 months old. She was

Customer Question

We have a spayed female cat about 12-13 months old. She was a rescue cat and we have owned her for 7 months. Always very clean. Slightly manic but not too difficult to deal with as we understand her background.
She has in the last two weeks started to yowl to go out in the evening (we do not let either of our cats out at night), pacing the floor around the house, yowling in a deep throat sound. She has also started to 'mark' points around the house, not urinating but squirting! There is a male cat coming around and we wonder if she is going through puberty or similar. Please help us understand and know what to do to help us all with this problem.
Frank and Tania Ramm, Cheltenham
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Maggie replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Maggie - I am a licensed veterinarian and I am going to try to answer your question today.

Based on your description, it sounds as if Ruby is in heat. I know that sounds crazy since she is spayed, but there could be a few possible explanations for this:

1.) If she was thought to be spayed prior to your adopting her by a rescue organization, perhaps the information you received was incorrect and she was not actually spayed.

2.) If she was in fact spayed at a very young age, sometimes small pieces of ovarian tissue can get left behind. This can be due to either surgical error, underdeveloped tissue, or the presence of ovarian tissue in an abnormal location. Ovarian tissue is the portion of the reproductive tract that is responsible for telling the body when the cat is in estrus, so if it is not removed entirely, you can see symptoms similar to what you are describing. In these situations, the cat will go through all of the symptoms of being in heat even though she is unable to become pregnant due to her lack of a uterus.

I would recommend getting Ruby in to see your veterinarian for an examination and for testing to see if there is an ovarian remnant possible. Assuming she was in fact spayed, your vet can run a specialized test for Anti-Müllerian hormone to see if she actually has an ovarian remnant present. If there is one present, this is typically corrected via an exploratory surgery to try to locate and remove the remaining ovarian remnant.

Hopefully that answered your question today. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

If you found this information helpful, please rate my response positively so I can get compensated for my time.

Thanks and best of luck with Ruby!