Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

hi, i was putting in a washing and spilled some soap powder

Customer Question

hi, i was putting in a washing and spilled some soap powder on the floor and my cat started licking it up before i could stop him. He was quite foamy/bubbly round the mouth. Will his health be effected by this
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
Soap powders aren't considered serious intoxicants to our cats but can be irritating to their mucous membranes. Simply washing out Lenny's mouth with water by means of a small poultry baster should suffice. It's unlikely that a cat would swallow any appreciative amount of soap powder once tasting it. Enourage fluid intake by offering milk, cream, broths or bouillons - all of which would dilute any soap powder that made its way down into Lenny's esophagus and stomach.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.

Please disregard the info request.
May I have an update on Lenny, please?