Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Sudden collapse of our elderly (almost 17) male cat last night,

Sudden collapse of our elderly (almost 17) male cat last night, he made an immediate recovery, this happened three times last night.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did Patch appear to faint or lose consciousness?

Did you see any paddling, drooling, loss of bladder or bowel control?

Does he have any pre-existing conditions? Any exposure to toxins or plants?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He recovered instantly, no loss of bladder or bowel control. He does go out but I do not know if he ate any plants. He is quieter and slower but eating drinking and going out to the toilet. He has been scratching his ears a lot more recently and I heard him cough once this morning. He is a good natured affectionate cat who has only been to the vets for neutering and for a bite injury years ago. I am reluctant to put him through the trauma of a journey to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Linda,

The reason why I did ask for further information about Patch's episodes was to tease out what is he is actually doing. And based from your description, I would be suspicious that you are seeing Patch have "syncopal" episodes. Syncope is essentially a side effect of the Patch'sbrain being deprived of oxygen, such that he loses consciousness and faints. Once he faints, the blood is able to carry oxygen to the brain and he wakes up once the brain has enough oxygen to function again. And where seizures indicate issue with the brain, syncope is a sign associated with the heart and blood pressure. Just to note, it is quite likely that underlying heart disease is also what has led him to become slower and quieter in recent times.

Now I do appreciate that you are not keen to drag him to the vet but I must note that it would be ideal to have his vet listen to his heart +/- scan or x-ray it. Depending on their findings, they can start him on medication to slow any underlying heart issues (slow heart disease progression, prevent clots, and address any arrhythmias) and keep his blood pressure up. And if they can manage these, then his brain shouldn't be experiencing these moments of low-oxygen and the faints should reduce and possibly stop all together.

Since he is an elderly gentleman and you are concerned about the stress of taking him into the vet, I would just note that vets here in the UK will offer home visits for cases that cannot come into the veterinary surgery. Therefore, you could consider requesting that a vet come to Patch to examine him and avoid the stress of travel for him. If they can (or refer you to a local mobile vet), then you can his heart listened to (possibly ultrasounded since some vets to have portable scanners), diagnose if this is the basis of his issues, and dispense treatment for him. And the sooner you were able to do so, the sooner you could help address his fainting and keep him comfortable for as long as he is with you.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your considered response. Syncope and a heart condition make sense, his late sister had a heart condition and died a couple of years ago. She was more able to tolerate a visit to the vet and was kept going for a few years on frusamide. I will enquire about a home visit. Thank you, Linda
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 years ago.
You are very welcome, Linda.

If his sister did have a heart condition, then this would make his signs even more suspect here. I do think that would be an ideal course of action, both from the view of keeping his stress levels down but also it would allow the vet to auscult his heart without the "distraction" of kitty stress (since their hearts are often racing after a car ride and wait in the waiting room).

All the best,

Dr. B.