Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 3 year old cat has begun going to the toilet excessively

Customer Question

My 3 year old cat has begun going to the toilet excessively this morning. In an hour he used the litter tray about 15 times to urinate. When he goes he only urinates a few drops each time and a couple of times there were drops of blood in it. He is very vocal, miaowing a lot, so I think he might be in some discomfort.
Could it be some kind of bladder infection?
Thanks, Amy
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Amy and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Douglas has a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI), Amy. These signs of many trips to the litter box with little coming out and blood in the urine are very typical for this. This infection in females and males makes them feel like they have to go all the time even if they have no urine in their bladder. This will require antibiotics. For now, go to the pet store and purchase a product called Methigel. Give Douglas a dose of this on his nose every 4 hrs. This is a urinary acidifier that causes the urine to be in an acid state so the bacteria cannot grow. This will not cure this but will prevent further bacterial growth until you can get Douglas to your vet.

Take Douglas to your vet as soon as possible, Amy. Failure to treat this in males, can cause crystals that could block the urinary tract and cause a life threatening condition.

Does that make sense to you, Amy?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Amy, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope Douglas feels better soon.

Have a wonderful day!