Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 2year old rag doll cat never stops whinging and is off his

Customer Question

My 2year old rag doll cat never stops whinging and is off his all his food he is driving me crazy constant whinge and then vomits what could be wrong ! Val
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dr. Kara and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your little one Teddy isn't feeling himself, vomiting, not eating and vocalizing. I think he is trying to get your attention because he doesn't feel well.

Is he running a fever (rectal temperature greater then 39.4C)?
Does she have a tense, painful abdomen with gentle pressure on his belly with your hands?

Vomiting and nausea can be due to stress, a change in diet, parasites, a viral or bacterial infection, eating something he should not have like a piece of a toy, inflammatory bowel disease or even a food allergy. But it can also be related to metabolic organ disease (such kidney or liver disease) due to organ wastes irritating the gut or an obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.

If this has been going on for more then 24 hours I highly recommend he see his veterinarian as if he is vomiting everything he eats he is in danger of dehydration.

If this is new today to try and settle his stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per
2 kilogram to 4.5 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 2 to 4.5 kilograms of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation from a diet change or eating something he should not have.

I would wait to feed him any food for a good 6 to 12 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broths like low salt chicken broth offered frequently are fine as he needs fluids. You can give him pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, though most cats don't like the taste.

After his food fast offer her a bland diet of 2/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.

Once he feels better (no retching for 48 hours) start mixing in his regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert him back.

If Teddy is continuing to vomit, runs a fever or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly though it would be best that he see a veterinarian now as anything you give him orally will just come back up worsening his dehydration.
Best of luck with Teddy, please let me know if you have any further questions.