Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi I have 3 male cats who all get on very well. I am having

Customer Question

Hi I have 3 male cats who all get on very well.

I am having problems with 2 of the cats. one cat for some time when kneading on my knee has done thrusting type movements and now the other cat has started to do the same. I have noticed that their private parts are also visable at this point, which is concerning.
what can I do to stop this ? The incidents seem to happen more so when I have a dressing gown on, jumper or fleecie blanket.

One of the cats also goes through fazes of spraying. I have got scratch posts at all entrances and have a identi-chip cat flap to stop other cats from coming into our house.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome ... My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Where there are a number of male cats in the house then this is more than likely some form of territorial issue ...

Scott Nimmo :

There is one measure you can take here which could very well settle things down ... a Feliway diffuser

Scott Nimmo :

Hold on and I will get you a link for this type of product ...

Scott Nimmo :

While your sort of situation is a little unusual this would be the thing to try first ...

Scott Nimmo :

You can pick these up from your vet over the counter, most vets in the UK will stock them ...

JACUSTOMER-f5sq2zqc- :

All cats are neutered, im aware of the diffuser, its more the issue of kneading I could do with more information on please.

Scott Nimmo :

kneading is an instinct left over from when they were very young kittens. A kitten will knead it's mothers mammary gland area to stimulate milk production. They may do this around humans because we feed them.

Scott Nimmo :

As adults they may be scent marking with the glands on their paws, so claiming the area as their own before getting ready to relax.

Scott Nimmo :

The sexual behaviour you are seeing could be related to this or as I suspect some form of territorial competition between the cats ...

JACUSTOMER-f5sq2zqc- :

My partner feeds the cats /

Scott Nimmo :

Just going to switch boxes so you do not incur more charges

JACUSTOMER-f5sq2zqc- :

As mentioned the sexual behaviour particularly happens when I have a jumper, fleece, or dressing gown on. I did notice that the other day the young did scent me for the first time, not with wee but with that strange smell. He is only 1 year old and does not do what the older ones do fortunately .

JACUSTOMER-f5sq2zqc- :

Any suggestions of what I can do to stop the older cats behaviour ?

Please continue our dialogue here ...
Hello again Louise,

Very glad to talk this over with you further ..

I am very much a cat person myself, I have six of them in fact, in your position I would give the Feliway a try, it could settle the cats down a bit including the behaviour you describe and it could also help with any spraying.

Cats work on instinct and are hard to train as you will know so you have to think out of the box, hence the Feliway suggestion ...

Regards,

Scott