Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My tom cat drooling it smells bad .i think hes lost some teeth

Customer Question

My tom cat drooling it smells bad .i think he's lost some teeth but he won't let me near.hes drinking his cat milk but not eating much and that's not like him.what should I do. I don't drive and don't live near a vet but I'm getting a bit worried about him now.what do you think.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about your tomcat. How old is he?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If he is an older cat, I would be checking his mouth first, for an infection, a loose or infected tooth, or for a tumor in the mouth or under the tongue. It can be hard to get a good look in a cat's mouth, and if something in his mouth is hurting, it can be even more difficult. I sometimes have to sedate a cat to get a good look.

There are also diseases that cause ulcers in the mouth, that can cause drooling and not eating. Viruses like calici virus, kidney disease, and some toxins can irritate the lining of the mouth or cause sores in the mouth.

If he goes too long with not eating and drinking normally, he will become dehydrated, which will make what ever is wrong with him even worse.

He sounds to me like he needs medical attention. I am worried by your description of him. He may just need some hydration, pain medication and antibiotics, or he may need more in depth diagnostics and treatment. You can't get antibiotics or pain medication over the counter. Most over the counter pain medications for people are not safe for cats; paracematol is particularly poisonous to cats.

Until you can get him to a vet ( can you take a taxi, or ask a friend to drive you?) I would try to get him to drink as much as you can to keep him hydrated. Try offering broth and tuna juice as well as cat milk and water.

I hope you can get him some help soon. Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the good rating.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
How is your cat doing?

Rebecca