Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

my cat molly had a yearly vaccine ontuesday then she was sleepy.Did

my cat molly had a yearly vaccine ontuesday then she was sleepy.Did not return for 2days was found in my neighbours.My vet in mildenhall is closed because of easter.not eaten but gave her some water on a spoon.Iknow humans sometimes get the flu this might be the resean molly is sleepy,thank-you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

It's fairly common for cats to become a bit lethargic after receiving a vaccine.

Dr. Drew :

the vaccine stimulates the immune system, in order to produce protective antibodies,

Dr. Drew :

which leads to a feeling of mild illness.

Dr. Drew :

I would not expect that this is a true illness or a "flu" as you mentioned,

Dr. Drew :

but rather a normal immune response to the vaccine.

Dr. Drew :

You can try giving a dose of Diphenhydramine (12.5mg, every 12 hours), this is sold without a prescription.

Dr. Drew :

this may help reduce some mild vaccine reactions.

Dr. Drew :

If there's no improvement in Molly's condition by tomorrow, then a veterinary exam would be recommended.