Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

can you advice anything i can put on my wall paper or carpets

Customer Question

can you advice anything i can put on my wall paper or carpets to stop my cat from scratching it please i know the get off sprays you have to use every day he already has a scratch post and catnip sprayed on his things
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

What a frustrating problem for you! The best way to look at a behavior concern like scratching is that we want to make it easy for the Fred to make the right choice (and reinforce that choice) and make it hard to make the wrong choice (and redirect, interrupt or ignore unwanted behavior).

With scratching, the scratching post should be of materials that the cat prefers. In this case apparently paper or cardboard. You can try several options to find one that the cat will use. I find that many cats enjoy the disposable cardboard scratch boards.
Make the appropriate scratching area as attractive as possible by baiting with catnip and locating scratch posts in areas that are crossroads for social interactions and/or adjacent to areas where Fred is already scraching. ALWAYS praise/treat when the Fred uses the appropriate spot.

For areas Fred is not welcome, put two sided tape on the wall (or furniture that he may be scratching) to prevent further scratching. If there is furniture that he is also scratching try covering furniture with plastic, aluminum foil or a space blanket to discourage additional clawing. Limit access especially if you are not present to supervise behavior at all time. If Fred is seen to approach an off limits area or begin to scracth, interrupt the behavior by calling him and rewarding him for coming (use a favorite treat or find one he loves). Then encourage him to approach the appropriate scratching spot and praise any interest in the approved scratching post. We can almost always initiate scratching behavior by scratching the surface yourself and then praising the cat for engaging it's claws.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have now got some feliway spray and diffuser and got hima cat tree that appears to be working so far

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.
That is wonderful! Feliway is a great product and if it helps him relax a bit then that is a great way to go. Please keep me posted. Thank you for the update.

Cheers,
Dr. Joey