Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

my kitten aged 9 weeks developed the runs this morning.easter

my kitten aged 9 weeks developed the runs this morning.easter hols,no shops open what can i use from the household groceries?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

If he is not lethargic, having bloody diarrhea or refusing to eat then this is not an emergency and he can have diarrhea until tomorrow without severe consequences. What you can use is 5ml three times daily of kaopectate to try to stop the diarrhea. Finally a boiled diet can be helpful, use boiled lean meat (beef, chicken, or fish) and rice as his food until you can see the vet on Monday. Do not give milk of any form as most cats once they are older than 4 weeks are lactose intolerant.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions.
Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i do not have kaopectate.i do have lopermide?

the cat is drinking,very happy and playful

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately loperamide is going to be too strong for a kitten of this size, I would stick to the boiled diet and don't give any medications.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

would porridge be of any use?i have special cat milk is that okay as i want to make sure he is drinking enough?i may not be able to get to vets tomorrow as still a bank hol and i live miles from anywhere.i wormed him 3 days ago would that be causing it?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Porridge and lean meat might be ok but meat and rice is better. Do not use the milk for cats, it will likely make the diarrhea worse, there is no helpful reason to give cats milk of any kind, after 4 weeks of age. A deworming may contribute to the diarrhea, it's certainly possible but more likely the deworming would stop diarrhea not create it.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

is it usual for kittens to get diarrheal?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
It's certainly not uncommon for kittens to get diarrhea. It can come from dietary issues (cats milke, table scraps etc) it can come form parasites which you've dewormed for, or it can come from viral or bacterial problems just like you or I would get. Sometimes they pass on their own and sometimes they need treatment.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

at what point does this become a emergency?i dont have much money for a holiday call out.how can i be sure hes not dehydrating?i repeat he is very active at the moment and very playful

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
If he becomes lethargic, the diarrhea becomes bloody, or refuses to eat.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

last questions.would even point 50mg of lopermide hurt him?is kaopectate a kaolin?as i may be able to borrow some of that from a neighbour

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
As I said before loparamide at any of the human doses is inappropriate.

Yes Kaopectate is kaolin if you could borrow some from the neighbor would be great.

Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

many thanks.how much kaolin should i give?

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 2 years ago.
Please re-read my first response.
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of experience with domestic and exotic cats, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.