Rebecca
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi my cat does not eat very much ( A couple of mouthfull thats

Customer Question

Hi my cat does not eat very much ( A couple of mouthfull thats it) and she is always miowing for food all the time I feed her but she will only have one or two mouthfull and thats it. She also has blood in her stools and goes also most twice a day, once it is hard stools second time it is very runny with mucus and blood.

In general she appears to be in good health.
Please help I am worried.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Daffy's problems. My name isXXXXX am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

If she has blood and mucus in her stools, it sounds like she has colitis, inflammation in her intestines.

Rebecca :

This can be cause by many things; food sensitivities, inflammatory bowel disease, infections, parasites, pancreatitis.

Rebecca :

The once a month wormers will get some, but not all parasites. For instance, if she has Giardia ( not a worm, but a one celled parasite) or Coccidia, she would need special medication for that parasite.

Rebecca :

I usually start by looking at the stool under a microscope and testing for things like Giardia and Coccidia. I try a bland diet like Royal Canin GI or Purina EN or Hills I/D.

Rebecca :

Probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements, like Fortiflora and Proviable can be helpful. These are made just for cats, and are better for cats than probiotics for people, or yogurt.

Rebecca :

A medication called metronidazole can be very good for colitis.

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you. I hope you see what I am writing!

Rebecca :

When a cat eats less, they are telling us that they do not feel good. Is she losing weight at all? Does she vomit at all?

Rebecca :

I will try to connect with you another way, if I do not hear from you soon.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I hope you can now see what I am writing.

I would start with a microscopic exam of a stool sample, metronidazole and probiotics, if she were my own cat. If she is losing weight at all, I would also consider doing some blood tests.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and what else I can answer.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rebecca

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Rebecca,

Daffy has sometimes vomiited, but it is not as often as the bloody stools and feces.

She is not losing weight but then again she has always been slim. she weighs 2kg.

the medicine which you have said- metronidazole could i get that from a vet without taking Daffy in?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
No, sorry. Metronidazole is a great medication: anti bacterial, anti inflammatory, anti Giardia, immune stimulating, but only available by prescription.

Thank you for the great rating!

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, Thank you so much I can now move forward and make an appointment with the vets and try and get Daffy better.

The information you gave was very informative and detail thank you.

just last question will the treatment b lengthy and expensive? or is it quite straight forward i.e no stay in hospital?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I would not expect a hospital stay. The course of treatment depends on what the diagnosis is.

I got a kitten from the shelter who had diarrhea, and it took 6 weeks to clear it up, but usually it does not take that long.

Some things, like inflammatory bowel disease, are not cured, but respond to treatment. Often these cats are on medication for life.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
How is Daffy doing?

Rebecca