Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

constipation

Customer Question

constipation
Category: Cat
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 4 year old girl Fliss who seems to be a little constipated.. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today.

If you are relatively sure that Fliss is indeed constipated and that she is not in fact having trouble urinating, then there are a number of tricks that may help your girl in the long term to defecate more easily. We do have to be sure that she doesn't have cystitis - in which case it would look like Fliss is constipated when in fact she is having trouble urinating.

If your girl is constipated then you may be able to relieve this for your her by giving a teaspoon of cooking oil (olive oil) on her food once daily for the next week. You can also use a product called Microlax available from most drug stores, however you must be VERY careful when using this. This is a suppository that must be carefully inserted into your girls rectum using plenty of lubricant and then the product squeezed out. You would then notice she defecates within 10 - 15 minutes relieving any constipation. You may be a lot better off leaving your Vet to do this for your however.

If this is more of a longterm issue, then yes - feeding wet diets (pouches or cans) can definitely help, and encouraging water intake will help ensure the stool is of a normal consistency. To help encourage her to drink, make sure you have several water bowls around the house, and also consider buying a pet water fountain, as some cats prefer running water. Long term, you could also conisder a high fibre diet like Royal Canin fibre response. This is designed for cats with chronic constipation and help to moisten the stool as well as aid it's passage.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She may have cystitis- how would I be able to tell?

- she squats for ages and yesterday afternoon there was nothing at all solid or urine- just a little watery blood, (I know this because she went in the bath which she would never usually do as she goes outside). I have kept her in at the moment and will put down more water for her. What do you advise? I can't really afford the vet but I don't want to let her down

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi again Lesley,

If you are seeing normal stools as well as this frequent squatting and liquid blood, then this is much more likely cystitis than constipation. You will need to get your girl to your Vet for a full check over as cystitis can be caused by a number of potential things and there could potentially be a secondary cause like urinary crystals or stones here. If you can get your girl seen today or tomorrow, that would be the best bet. If possible - try and collect a urine sample, however I understand this is usually easier said than done, so don't panic if you can't. In the meantime, continue to feed wet food only for the next couple of weeks.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
No problem Lesley.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It WAS CYSTITIS, FLISS CAT NOW BEEN TO VETS AND IS NOW MUCH HAPPIER, THANK YOU

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Great to hear Lesley! Thanks for getting her seen so quickly.