Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

The 2 cats in the family (aged 13 and 17) do not like each

Customer Question

The 2 cats in the family (aged 13 and 17) do not like each other. The have recently started to pee on the carpets. We reassure them that we love them, put foil in the place they pee, put food bowls nearby. They have infra red collars so can go outside and still use the litter box.Do we need a cat behaviourist to come to the house to help us out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

There are some things you can try before you go to the extent of a behaviorist ...

Scott Nimmo :

In your sort of situation products such as Feliway can really help, here is a link about Feliway LINK

Scott Nimmo :

If you have not tried it so far then give it a go ...

Scott Nimmo :

Another thing that can help is to change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden or peat from the garden center instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cats and might bring them back into their litter trays. If this works then you can gradually switch back to commercial cat litter.

Scott Nimmo :

Just in case you are using a regular carpet shampoo instead of an animal one ... When you clean where they have been dirty use one of the odour eliminator type solutions you can get from the vet or pet shop. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water or other shampoos it will smell fine to you but to the cats it will still smell afterwards, and if the place smells like a public toilet to them then they may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while.

Scott Nimmo :

Well there are a few ideas, please get back to me to talk things over further ..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will try them . I can't put a happy face because the situation is so depressing.

If nothing helps my husband is saying the older cat will have to go which is too awful to contemplate.

Hello again Moya,

I am very much a cat person myself so I know how you feel, a very frustrating situation I know. Still there are things you can try, give my ideas a go and I will check back in with you in a couple of weeks to see how things are going.

Kindest regards,

Scott.
Hello again Moya,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. I will get back in touch with you in a week or so to check on your cats progress, and advise you further if necessary.

If I can ever help you further then please contact me again via my profile LINK

Kindest regards,

Scott

Scott Nimmo The Online Vet
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott,

We are implementing your suggestions and have found a local supplier of Feliway which we will purchase this week.

We purchased a CCCT camera with a monitor and identified the main culprit! Pelucia was the first cat in residence and has never forgiven us for bringing in Una 10 years ago. The monitor beeps when the cast comes into the affected area and she doesn't seem to like it as we didn't have a show last night.

One step forward at a time.

Regards, Moya

Sounds like a good start Moya ...

Keep in touch,

Regards,

Scott