Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Hi there, I have two 5 year old female cats that I have

Hi there,

I have two 5 year old female cats that I have had since they were kittens. I am moving in with my boyfriend who has a cat allergy and as such, sadly agreed to rehome them with his sister in the country. However, recently my boyfriends said he would be happy to try and live with one of the cats and see how his allergies go. The cats are not very close, they do not sleep together or groom one another, one is definately the dominant cat (eg if Ottie is on my knee and Pippin jumps up, Ottie immediately jumps down). I would love to keep one of my cats (I have pleaded to keep both but no joy) but am worried it will be cruel to separate them....Please could I have your advice on this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

If Ottie and Pippin do not have a close relationship, then it would not be cruel to separate them. Unlikely dogs who instinctively form packs, cats are naturally inclined to exist as a solitary animals in their territory. So, without a brotherhood type relationship linking these lads, there is no reason why they couldn't be separated under the circumstances (as long as the one that went had a safe home to go to, of course). In fact, you may find that submissive cat's personality blossoms when he isn't feeling the need to avoid the dominant cat.

Now just to note, since cats are not renowned for their abilities to cope with dramatic life changes, you may want to consider some steps for the cat who is relocated to ensure he makes the transition with as little stress as possible. To do this you may want to consider using de-stressing tools during his move. Examples include Feliway , diets like Calm by Royal Canin, or nutritional supplements like Kalmaid (LINK) or Zylkene. Some people have even found treats like Composure (LINK) or Bach Flower Remedy (LINK) to be helpful for these guys. And you can use more then one if necessary. Further to this, if the cat who is being relocated is a stressy kitty, you may also want to consider Free Access Crate training them now (FACT(here)). This would just be a means of letting them have a wee familiar spot to take with them when moving to the new location.

Finally, just in regards XXXXX XXXXX allergies, remember that your boyfriend is allergic to the cat dander. This means we need to make sure to hoover often and perhaps even use an air filter. Because if we can reduce the dander in the flat's airspace, then we can hopefully lower it enough to avoid triggering his allergies.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )

Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience: I am a small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats and am happy to discuss any questions you have.