Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience:  Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people
32859351

Hi my cat ate a bit string that had sweets around it will he

Hi my cat ate a bit string that had sweets around it will he be ok
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Aaron replied 2 years ago.

Dr Aaron :

How long of a string did he eat? When did he eat it?

Customer:

It was about 5pm today and it was About 10/11 cm

Dr Aaron :

what time is it now? Sorry I'm in the USA and don't remember the time difference.

Customer:

It is now 7pm 2 hours since he done it

Dr Aaron :

Do you have a local vet in the area?

Customer:

Yeah but I have broke ma ankle and mostly everyone I know is either still workin or out

Dr Aaron :

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle.

Dr Aaron :

Has your cat vomited since eating the string?

Customer:

No he hasn't vomited not that I know of as he meowed to go out within 5 minutes of eating it then came back in and ate some meat

Dr Aaron :

Thank you for the additional information.

Dr Aaron :

There are two different ways that Gizmo could respond to eating the string.

Dr Aaron :

Unfortunately there is no way to forecast which will occur.

Dr Aaron :

1. It will pass through his digestive tract normally. It won't cause an issue.

Dr Aaron :

2. It will get stuck in the stomach/intestines and cause what is called a linear foreign body. The string then acts like a knife and can cut through the intestines/stomach. Without surgery, Gizmo can die.

Dr Aaron :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

Is there anythin else you can tell me

Dr Aaron :

You want to closely watch him for changes including: vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, decreased appetite, abdominal pain, labored breathing.

Dr Aaron :

If you notice any of these then I would recommend taking him into your local vet as soon as possible, because as noted, it can be an emergency.

Dr Aaron :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

Thank you for your help he has went back out due to my daughter opening door and he ran out how long can it take to show any signs

Dr Aaron :

It could be hours --> days. I would recommend keeping him inside for the next few days so you can keep a close eye on him.

Dr Aaron :

I would greatly appreciate a positive rating /review so that I may be compensated for my time.

Dr Aaron :

Feel free to ask any additional questions.

Customer:

How long can it take for him to show signs

Dr Aaron :

Dr Aaron :

Do you have any others questions?

Dr Aaron :

Hello?

Customer:

Sorry been seeing to kids no more questions thanks very much for your help he is in now ate some more and now lyin down

Dr Aaron :

you're very welcome. I would greatly appreciate a positive rating / review so that I may be compensated for my time. Take care.

Customer:

Thanks again

Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
Experience: Currently working at 5 different hospitals, love helping animals and people