Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Hi, my cat has recently started breathing deeply approx 22

Customer Question

Hi, my cat has recently started breathing deeply approx 22 breathes a minute and het appetite has increased, she has always been a hungry cat but normally one pouch is enough but she is asking for more or eating her sisters after she has eaten her first one. I wormed her a few months ago with panacure. She also seems to be a bit more tired and sleeping more in the last week or so.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 3 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 9 years of experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.

Is your cat overweight? Any change in drinking or urination? Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, she is average weight approx 4kg or so. No changes in drinking or urination and no vomiting as far as I know. She is an outdoor cat so this I'd hard to monitor.

Okay. The most likely causes of this would be parasites or hyperthyroidism. Parasites would be most likely in an outdoor cat. Panacur does not cover allcommon parasites- it does not cover tapeworms, which is the most common one in outdoor cats, and doesnot cover coccidia, either. I would try to keep her in a garage with a litter box or indoors until you can obtain a fecal sample and drop it off at your local vet clinic to see if she has parasites. The next most common thing to cause these signs is hyperthyroidism, which is diagnosed with a blood test and can cause a ravenous appetite and weight loss andcardiac changes. This disease is highly treatable with many different treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much. I will make an appointment with my vets just to get her checked over and any medication she may need.

Thanks again.

You are most welcome.